Thursday, March 4, 2010

Wanted: A storyteller for Obama and Gov. Deval Patrick

In our class discussions we have contemplated the importance of developing an identity and creating a narrative. Narratives constrict our reality, create meaning, and align individual identity with collective pursuits. Stories are effective in engaging an audience and inspiring action.

I came across an article today in the Boston Globe that argues that Governor Deval Patrick and Obama each "lacks an overarching goal that explains, unifies, and give motive to his multiple initiatives." As I read on, I found myself considering the author's assertions.

Perhaps I found this so compelling due to my political ignorance, or that it only resonated thanks to our recent class discussions underscoring the impact of narratives (or lack of) on the construction of our reality. Who are they? What do they really stand for? What are they symbols of? And if they do not create their own narrative, we will. Obama and Deval Patrick have fallen victim to this.

For those of you that I have spoke to in class that are the 'less-than-political' type like myself, I posted this for your consumption more than the overwhelmingly-political individuals in class (I know I am definitely behind them in the political communication learning curve.) Even though it is an opinion piece, I thought it would be beneficial for us to read it and ponder its significance as we relate to these concepts in class.

-ev

No comments:

Post a Comment