Sunday, April 18, 2010

What is the point of second life?

What is the point of second life?

This question prompted me to take a look at the 3D virtual world where anything and everything is possible. I wondered if this was the new play thing for the social media junkie. The second life website (http://secondlife.com/?v=1.1) allows you to create a fictitious fantasy life in cyber space.

Anything from your dream job to your dream car is possible on second life, and yes you earn money (real second life money) in this fantasy cyber world. My favorite part of second life would be the "shop 'til you drop" aspect. So if you can't afford the latest Nike's in real life, you can rock them in your second life. Now thats where I need to be. I also noticed all the beautiful people on second life - but of course who would want to be anything else in fantasy world? And you can be 'fake' beautiful in fantasy world for FREE. Second life is free to join.

Based on what I saw, I think second life is more of a 'pretend game' for really bored people than anything else. I was just amazed at how much people were addicted to it. I soppose like any game, once you get into the flow, the addiction factor cannot be helped, but I was shocked to read on CNN the following day that a couple in Korea starved their child (the real life one) to death because they paid too much attention to the one on second life! That just did it for me and I conclude: second life is a cyber game for people with time on their hands. In the our current state of media over exposure, I just don't know how people find the time to live a fantasy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment