Wednesday, February 24, 2010

To whom is Tiger responsible?

This letter to the Editor appeared in today's Boston Globe:

[Tiger Woods] Betrayed His Family, Not the Public

I MUST have missed the memo stating that I was due an apology from Tiger Woods. Reading and hearing comments about how people do not believe the statements he made on Friday just makes me shake my head.

I understand Woods’s need to make some sort of amends to his sponsors, but beyond that, the only person he owes an apology to is his wife.

What he or any other public figure does in his private time is his business, not mine. I have no sympathy for the mess he has found himself in, nor do I have sympathy for the mistresses (who have spoken about how they feel Woods betrayed them). The only person Woods betrayed was his immediate family, not the public or the media.

Paula Caravella,
Plymouth

It's an interesting debate. Certainly the CEO of Toyota owes the public an apology because he is responsible for selling a shoddy product. In the case of selling image associated with product, the question is a bit more subtle.

But as Tiger makes big bucks selling an image of excellence and integrity, he has, in effect, offered the public (and the companies who are paying for that image) damaged goods. The practice of using celebrity to sell product (a la Bernays) suggests to the consumer that you are somehow metaphysically "buying" a little piece of Tiger's integrity and excellence when you are buying the product he endorses. But it's a bizarre sort of intangible value...Is the value of the Nike sneakers diminished if Tiger's integrity is soiled? They still function as shoes, after all--not like a sticking accelerator.

On the level of reputation repair, the author of the letter probably doesn't understand that Tiger's apology was probably less for the public's sake and more for the sake of saving his 'brand.'

What do you think?


1 comment:

  1. I cannot agree more! Why would I care? Tiger is no different than any other person cheating on his wife for me. Plus, why would I care whether a sportsman is faithful or not. As long as s/he plays well, I don't care.

    I just wonder whether race makes his image more important for the audience. He is an African-American man who is incredibly successful in a well, traditionally white man sport. Maybe this success gives his image a public importance.

    ReplyDelete